The Swiss Border Guard - since 1894
The Swiss Border Guard - as our armed and uniformed corps - has been an integral and recognised part of Switzerland's security landscape for over 100 years. It is particularly firmly anchored in the communes close to the border, but it is also well-known nationally. In its history of more than 100 years, it has undergone changes time and again.
From the time the Swiss Border Guard was set up on 1 January 1894 up to the First World War, the focus was on fiscal tasks, namely combating smuggling. During the Second World War, military tasks were added and the difficult economic and political situation at this time caused a high death toll at the Swiss Border Guard for the first time.
In the post-war period, increasing importance was attached to police security duties and migration tasks. The Swiss Border Guard has also adapted its assignment concept to the increasing cross-border traffic and has supplemented its static controls at the border crossings with mobile assignments in the border regions.
On 12 December 2008, the SwissBorder Guard underwent a further change with the entry into force of the Schengen Agreement. Since then, the Border Guard has increasingly been taking part in Schengen substitute measures and in assignments at the EU external borders (FRONTEX).
In the future too, the Swiss Border Guard will respond to new challenges in a flexible manner, not only in the interests of the economy, but also in the interests of the security and the health of the Swiss population.