The Operations Directorate comprises the Customs and Border Guard (BG), as well as the district directorates of customs and Border Guard regions. This merger, and the resulting strengthening of operational activities, is a cornerstone of the FCA's transition to become the Federal Office for Customs and Border Security FOCBS. It also involves the creation of the new job profile of customs and border security specialist.
Regional structure with six regional levels: The Operations Directorate is divided into six regions (directorates of customs and Border Guard regions) as follows:
- Customs North: Basel Stadt, Basel Landschaft, Aargau
- Customs Northeast: Schaffhausen, Thurgau, Zurich, Zug, Schwyz, Lucerne, Obwalden, Nidwalden, Glarus
- Customs East: St Gallen, Appenzell Innerrhoden, Appenzell Ausserrhoden, Graubünden, Principality of Liechtenstein
- Customs South: Uri, Ticino
- Customs West: Geneva, Vaud, Valais
- Customs Central Switzerland: Jura, Neuchâtel, Bern, Fribourg, Solothurn