Application for the position of border guard

Here you can find all the information and documents which you will require for your application to become a border guard.

Bewerbung als Grenzwächter


Check the Confederation jobs portal to find out in which regions border guard positions are available. You can begin your training in either January or July.

What we offer

  • extensive and varied training with many opportunities for basic and advanced training.
  • a truly challenging job with a high degree of individual responsibility that provides interesting opportunities for career development and promotion.
  • progressive working conditions and good benefits in accordance with the Federal Personnel Act.
  • Full salary during training.

What we require

  • Swiss citizenship or dual citizenship (dual citizens may not have served in any foreign armed services).
  • A Federal VET Diploma following at least three years of basic vocational training or an equivalent certification (e.g. baccalaureate).
  • Between 20 and 35 years of age.
  • Minimum height 168 cm (male) or 160 cm (female).
  • Good intellectual and psychological capacity, and physical fitness.
  • Good swimmer.
  • Normal hearing and eyesight (incl. normal ability to distinguish between colours).
  • Good repute.
  • Category B driving licence.

You must also have basic qualities such as the ability to work in a team, sociability, communication skills, quick learning ability, autonomy, assertiveness, reliability, and endurance. Great importance is also attached to external appearance.

How to apply

Read the following document thoroughly before applying. It contains information on the following topics:

  • Requirements for admission to the application process
  • How the recruitment process works
  • Aptitude test
  • Documents required for the application
  • Information on the training and professional examination


Here you will find the forms that you will need for your application and which are mentioned in the document above (available in German, French and Italian).

Send your completed application to the HR Centre in the area you would like to work. You can find the addresses of the HR Centres under FCA HR Centre addresses.