Wine, alcoholic beverages and tobacco goods

Alcoholic beverages that exceed the allowances and are destined for transit through Switzerland must be declared upon entry. The same applies for tobacco goods (see also Duty-free allowances: foodstuffs, alcohol and tobacco). A transit receipt is issued upon entry for this purpose.

You need to pay a deposit, which is refunded by the customs office of exit if all of the goods are re-exported. The deposit amounts to roughly the equivalent of the import duties (see also Duty-free allowances: foodstuffs, alcohol and tobacco). If the deposit is paid in cash (CHF, EUR, USD, GBP), it will always be refunded in Swiss francs. It can also be paid by credit card; the sum is credited to the same credit card upon re-exportation.

Opening hours and addresses

You must leave Switzerland via a manned border crossing in order for the exportation of the goods to be confirmed. The deposit can be refunded only during clearance times. Opening hours and addresses

You leave the EU Customs Union when transiting through Switzerland. To ensure unproblematic exportation and re-importation into the EU, contact all relevant customs administrations beforehand:

Other countries: WCO - National customs websites

You will find questions and answers about the coronavirus at (in German, French or Italian).