1. You enter Switzerland carrying personal goods
If there are customs agents in the train, all goods you are carrying must be spontaneously declared. The verbal declaration is binding.
If no customs agents are present, you may:
- get off the train at the border train station and declare your personal goods in writing (written self-declaration at a declaration box); or
- declare the goods for clearance at a later date (within 7 days) at any customs office during opening hours.
Please note: On certain regional trains, you may only carry personal goods with you that:
- are within the duty-free allowances and the VAT-free limit of CHF 300;
- are not subject to restrictions or bans; and
- do not require a certificate or authorisation.
Please pay attention to the symbols on the train or the loudspeaker announcements.
2. You enter Switzerland carrying merchandise
You can find information on importing comercial merchandise in trains in the «rail traffic» section under «Information companies».