Transport, travel documents, road taxes

Travel documents

To enter Switzerland, foreign citizens must be in possession of a valid travel document that is recognised by Switzerland (passport, identity card). In certain cases, a visa is also required.

The provisions on travel documents abroad can be obtained from the relevant foreign authority via the link to the World Customs Organization:

Road taxes

Road taxes are incurred when goods are transported in Switzerland:

  • The use of Swiss motorways with motor vehicles and trailers up to 3.5 tonnes is subject to payment of the motorway tax (vignette).
  • The mileage-related heavy vehicle charge HVF depends on the total weight, emissions level, and kilometres driven in Switzerland and the Principality of Liechtenstein.
    It applies to motor vehicles and their trailers that have a total permissible laden weight of more than 3.5 tonnes and are used to transport goods.
  • The lump-sum heavy vehicle charge (PSVA) is levied on vehicles used for transporting passengers, motor carriages, tractors, motor vehicles for fun fairs and circuses, as well as motor vehicles for the carriage of goods with a maximum speed of 45 km/h.

Transport regulations

Certain restrictions apply to the use of foreign means of transport. As the carrier, you have certain obligations when crossing the border with commercial goods.

Please observe the corresponding transport regulations.

"CH" sticker, number plates and official signs

A "CH" sticker must be displayed on the rear of Swiss vehicles and trailers that you use when travelling abroad. Further information on this as well as on number plates and official signs can be found in Article 45 of Appendix 4 to the Ordinance on the Technical Requirements for Road Vehicles, SR 741 (in french).